Skip to main content

Brains


Let's multi-task shall we?

You are doing it right now, as am I. As is my daughter. I am currently trying to keep my baby's flailing feet from hitting the keyboard while I try to type and she attempts to nurse. Her flying feet are a result of her trying to push her feet against my arm as she nurses. She loves pushing her feet against my arm, or the arm of the chair that we often nurse in.
Or against her Daddy's back when she nurses in bed.
Or against our hands as she sits in our laps, or against the footrest of her highchair.

Any opportunity where she can push with her feet, against anything, she pushes. She even pushes them against the mattress as she sleeps, which pushes her whole body higher and higher up the bed until BONK! She hits the headboard, wakes herself up and starts the whole process over again to fall back asleep. The headboard solution is relatively easy, we just wedge a pillow between the mattress and the headboard so when she propels into it, soft resistance is provided. No bonk, no wake up. But the constant pushing? That's a sign of something, a driving need that she can't seem to satisfy. The solution is proving somewhat elusive.

Our brains multitask all the time. The resistance my fingers receive as I type, the smoothness of the keys, the words I am reading on this screen, the brightness of the screen, the smell of dinner, the feel of the chill in the room, the sound of my family's conversation in the other room, the sounds of traffic, the occasional BOOM of a nearby firecracker, and so much more. My brain is taking it all in, instantaneously sorting, filing, processing, responding, and directing. At the same time it's focused. Sharply focused on the thoughts I wish to convey, how to spell convey, how this sentence fits into the greater work around it. Oh, and I have to use the bathroom. Okay that one can't wait, excuse me for just a moment.

Sorry. The point is most of us have a brain that performs these tasks nearly flawlessly, seamlessly deciphering intake and output without us ever realizing just how much our brain is truly doing. Our brain in an incredible, incomparable organ. To compare it to a super computer is like comparing removing a splinter to spinal surgery. Yeah. Our brains are alive! They need nourishment, they breathe, they can grow or even shrink. They are still a vast mystery, despite centuries of being dissected and studied and MRIs. Brains are amazing!!

Fortunately, not all brains are alike. Humans in general are not all that keen of the idea of being programmable pods. We appreciate individuality, etc. Unfortunately, not all brains are enough alike. See, as you read this you may have your screen at full brightness and it probably doesn't bother you. In order for me to spend longer than just a few minutes on my computer, I have to have the brightness set to below 50%. Same thing on my phone. Even then, too much time or to much noise around me while I work at those screens and I'm going to walk away with a pounding headache. Right now, my husband is in the other room showing the kids U-TUBE videos and the music is SO LOUD... to me. I feel the tension creeping up through my body. Thankfully, they just finished, I still will probably have to close my door to decompress, because now just the normal sounds of the kids getting ready for bed bother me.

My brain is over sensitive to light, movement that is perceived by my eyes, and sound, sometimes even touch and the way food feels in my mouth can make me really uncomfortable, irritable, nauseous. Sometimes I cry because my tension level gets so high. Or I loose my temper. I finally explode, release the pressure valve. I try to avoid this by going to take a long, hot shower in my bathroom with only the nightlight on and the door secured. The sound of the water helps drown out the sounds from the other side of the door. The nightlight or candle is a soothing light that doesn't overwhelm my eyes. And the hot water drumming on my back and neck just feels good. It allows me to start breathing deeply again, helps melt away the tension that is coiling in my neck and shoulders. It's like my reset button. Almost.

It's entirely possible that I have Sensory Processing Disorder, but if I do, it's very mild. To me my sensitivities are mostly just that, sensitivities. They don't cripple me, or create major disruptions in my life. I have learned to live with my "quirks" and lead a mostly comfortable, meaningful and enjoyable life. Imagine though the sensitivities I described multiplied by 100, or 1000! That is what some with severe SPD live with, and coping can be enormously challenging. Others are under sensitive, they may not feel pain when they get hurt, much less a gentle kiss. They may not register the sound of a fire alarm or wake up to one if they are sleeping! They may seem like they are in a fog, or in perpetual slow motion. Over sensitive or under, these individuals are struggling, and missing out. Life for them is not much fun.

Another form of SPD is manifested by those whose brains just never seem to get enough. Where a nice hug makes most of us feel good, they need a big, tight, bear hug. And then another. And another. And, sometimes, another! Then they need a LONG tickle fest/wrestling match/pillow fight. Then they need to ride their bike, really fast, around the block a few times while crunching on a pretzel stick, and blasting music through their ear buds. After body slamming the couch a few times they might finally feel "good". The same "good" we felt after our nice hug. This is called sensory seeking. Though not always quite as intense as this, this is the category in which my children exhibit the most characteristics of SPD.

From what I can discern from my research, my two do not exhibit these characteristics to the extreme, but rather they fall somewhere in the moderate range, perhaps even mild on some days. This is just what I can guess, obviously an Occupational Therapist could give a much more accurate synopsis and even clearly diagnose them. I genuinely hope that we have the opportunity to benefit from the expertise that an OT can offer, and put to work techniques that could make finding sensory balance much more attainable for our family.

In the meantime, we are trying different tools, toys, exercises and ideas to do what we can on our own. Several things we have tried have had AMAZING results. Some not so much. But we will keep pushing on. Literally. On everything.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Petite Chef: Mud Pie

Here it is, as promised, Grace's Mud Pie recipe! She did all the work, I helped explain terms and measurements, stirred at the very end to make sure everything was evenly coated (at her request), and helped hold the pot. She let one of her friends spread the Nutella and add the "dirt" to one of the pies while she did the other.  This is a very kid friendly recipe, I highly recommend it for ages 8 and up! The original recipe is in the book The Cooking Book, by Jane Bull. But we modified it just a bit. Here are our supplies: 3/4 c butter 1 tbsp cocoa powder 1/2 c sugar 1 c graham cracker crumbs 1/2 c dried fruit 1 chocolate bar (we used Nutella spread instead) We added: Heath chocolate and toffee bits Black Sixletts (found in the party aisle) These are the original measurements, we doubled the recipe though. Step 1: Crush graham crackers. We used a gallon size zipper bag and a coffee mug (I don't own

Saying Goodbye

For the entire month of August, I just didn't let myself think about it beyond the facts. For the last two weeks, I just focused on anything else that took my mind off of it. Over the weekend I was busy getting things ready, so I was too busy to think about it. Tuesday came. Miss V came. It was a good visit, with laughing and smiling, and questions asked and answered, and Kit played with her, and smiled and made us laugh like usual. But it was different, and we felt it. I didn't let myself go there, because I didn't want to break down, not that it would have been the first time in front of her (nor the second, or third, or even fourth probably.)  And then it was time for her to go, and we took some pictures, and all the kids hugged her, and I held Kit on my shoulder on the steps so she could wave goodbye until Miss V is out of sight like she has every week for at least five months. And then we closed the door, and Kit went on with business as usual, beca

Preschool at Home! Chalkboard Painting

Here is another treasure from the backfiles. This started as an act of desperation on my part, I just needed her to be occupied so I could finish something, but it quickly became one of her favorite activities. If you have a chalkboard (we made ours on a half wall with chalkboard paint), all you need is a paintbrush, sponge, or washcloth, and a cup of water. Dip the brush in the water and have at it! Kit LOVES how the water turns the board black. So often, she will be at this so long that by the time she gets across the board, the first area she painted will be dry and a fresh pallet once again. You can get creative with the things you use as paintbrushes, but she has been completely happy with our basic art brushes from Walmart. I love watching her do this.