Skip to main content

Creating White Space

(I apologize for the low quality pictures. I'm having problems with my phone, and am in the midst of troubleshooting. Hopefully, much better ones will be coming soon.)

Our eyes are constantly taking in and processing our world. Everywhere we look we see shapes, colors, shades of light, and shadows create darkness. Sometimes our brain registers this input as soothing. Sometimes it registers it as irritating, overwhelming, or even painful.

For certain individuals it just proves to be too much and their brains get confused. Suddenly, it's as if they've forgotten how to perform even basic functions or execute a plan of action.

Now this can happen to anyone, some of the time. However, there are some that this can happen to anytime. This makes certain jobs of daily living very difficult. Take for example my children and their school work.

A normal page of math may not present a very big challenge to you or to me, but on some days, for my children, it can be paralyzing. Not everyday. Not every page. But when it happens, then they are completely at a loss of how to proceed.

Zak will just draw instead. He draws something, does a math problem, then draws some more. I would not object to this system if it didn't take him over two hours to complete one lesson!

Grace will get really upset and eventually dissolve into tears. She simply cannot proceed when this strikes.

Now, while she does not present enough evidence for me to suspect that she has SPD. She does have a few specific sensory difficulties. This may be one of them. Or maybe it's our first indication of ADHD, or something else. Or maybe she's just six and sometimes school is hard. I don't know. Yet.

What I do know is that we have found a HUGELY helpful solution! Thanks to one of the suggestions made in the book, The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz, M.A. She suggested using a cardboard template to create white space around a singular task, a math problem, for example.

Well, I didn't have any cardboard at the moment so I just taped three envelopes together since they are thicker and more durable than just a single sheet of paper. I made two, one with a square cut-out, and one with a long skinny rectangle.

They have helped both Zak and Grace enormously! I made them with Zak in mind, but as it turns out, Grace actually uses them more often. She likes them a lot and will specifically ask to use them. And not just for her math either. She especially likes them for the sentences that she copies everyday.


They have proven very useful to Zak as well. They help him go from doing this:
To something I can actually find his math work on:
Not to mention it helps him to accomplish his math assignments in a very reasonable 20-30 minutes. We really love these!

No doubt there are many kids out there that might find a template like this helpful even if they don't have SPD, or other sensory issues.

It makes so much sense that this technique works. Just think about how nice a photograph looks when it has matting around it. Or how we arrange pictures on a wall with space in between. Or how much easier it is for us to read black print on a white background than white on black. 

We use white space all the time to draw our eye to a focal point. So, naturally, creating a little white space around a math problem or a single sentence can automatically make it easier on the brain to know how to proceed.  

Hooray for white space! A brilliant solution to a couple of our school day blues!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Le Petite Chef: Mud Pie

Here it is, as promised, Grace's Mud Pie recipe! She did all the work, I helped explain terms and measurements, stirred at the very end to make sure everything was evenly coated (at her request), and helped hold the pot. She let one of her friends spread the Nutella and add the "dirt" to one of the pies while she did the other.  This is a very kid friendly recipe, I highly recommend it for ages 8 and up! The original recipe is in the book The Cooking Book, by Jane Bull. But we modified it just a bit. Here are our supplies: 3/4 c butter 1 tbsp cocoa powder 1/2 c sugar 1 c graham cracker crumbs 1/2 c dried fruit 1 chocolate bar (we used Nutella spread instead) We added: Heath chocolate and toffee bits Black Sixletts (found in the party aisle) These are the original measurements, we doubled the recipe though. Step 1: Crush graham crackers. We used a gallon size zipper bag and a coffee mug (I don't own

Preschool at Home! Chalkboard Painting

Here is another treasure from the backfiles. This started as an act of desperation on my part, I just needed her to be occupied so I could finish something, but it quickly became one of her favorite activities. If you have a chalkboard (we made ours on a half wall with chalkboard paint), all you need is a paintbrush, sponge, or washcloth, and a cup of water. Dip the brush in the water and have at it! Kit LOVES how the water turns the board black. So often, she will be at this so long that by the time she gets across the board, the first area she painted will be dry and a fresh pallet once again. You can get creative with the things you use as paintbrushes, but she has been completely happy with our basic art brushes from Walmart. I love watching her do this.

Saying Goodbye

For the entire month of August, I just didn't let myself think about it beyond the facts. For the last two weeks, I just focused on anything else that took my mind off of it. Over the weekend I was busy getting things ready, so I was too busy to think about it. Tuesday came. Miss V came. It was a good visit, with laughing and smiling, and questions asked and answered, and Kit played with her, and smiled and made us laugh like usual. But it was different, and we felt it. I didn't let myself go there, because I didn't want to break down, not that it would have been the first time in front of her (nor the second, or third, or even fourth probably.)  And then it was time for her to go, and we took some pictures, and all the kids hugged her, and I held Kit on my shoulder on the steps so she could wave goodbye until Miss V is out of sight like she has every week for at least five months. And then we closed the door, and Kit went on with business as usual, beca