Skip to main content

Officially Twisted

Every great story has a decisive, and usually challenging, plot twist. Well, we just got ours. Enter: Grandpa.

Moving In
In the midst of investigating the possibility of my kiddos having SPD, our family has also been deeply involved in the care of another family member with special needs.

The Plot Thickens...

 

Grandpa, Victor's dad, recently has had a rapid decline in health. Recent as in: three months ago was the first we became aware of a significant problem. Then it has quickly plummeted since then.

Physically he's quite healthy. The same, sadly cannot be said of his mental condition. He has just been diagnosed with moderate/severe Alzheimer's and severe Bi-Polar Disorder.

The second diagnosis was not all-together a surprise, but the intensity of a recent manic phase was. At the same time, the intensity and severity of his Alzheimer's also became glaringly apparent. It has resulted in huge, life altering, changes for all of us.

The Pot is Boiling!...Don't Stir!!


Throw in the inevitable financial woes of one who could no longer make reasonable financial decisions, and we have a BIG mess. The situation is so strange, so messed up, that nobody knows what to do or how to help. And of course, just when we thought things were better and finally headed in the right direction, it all unraveled.

Here's the short list:

Grandpa moved in today! (HUGE GASP!!) 

• We found out about this move-in two days ago. (WHAAATTTT?!?!?!?!

• No, I'm not kidding or exaggerating.

• No, we do not have room, we now have to build an additional bedroom w/ bathroom, a lot sooner than we had planned to do this.

• Yes, he is very ill and should be in a nursing home, but instead will be living with us for who knows how long.

• No, he will not take his medication which would make life much smoother for all of us.

• Thankfully, no, he is not violent. Stubborn and uncooperative, but not violent or abusive. (Yet?)

Even Teddy needs to spin sometimes!



Talk About Shock

 

The change is so massive, I can't even really wrap my head around it. It's as if I'm relating something that is happening in someone else' life instead of mine, or watching a movie trailer. I know there is a lot more that will happen, I just can't see it yet.

I'm sure this blissful ignorance-bubble will pop shortly though, and then the stress will probably hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm going to need every ounce of humor I have to maintain my sanity. Good thing I have my own comedy quartet living right here with me! My little hams always help me see the brighter side! =•P

Overload Imminent?


Wow, talk about an alternate reality. Two sensory seekers. A third who tries to keep up with the seekers even though she's not actually one, although she does have a few of her own challenges. Vic and I each with our own minor sensory issues, among other things. One very independent and stubborn grandpa with bi-polar and Alzheimer's and probably sensory issues as well, seeing as they are hereditary. Goodness, even our dog is extremely scared of loud noises, i.e. thunder or firecrackers!

We have the plot for either a really funny or really tragic movie. Let's aim for comedy gold, aye?!

Okay, going to try to go to sleep on the couch now since the only place to give him is our room until his is finished (2-3 weeks). Yup, me and Kit are on the sectional. She's in the corner, right above my head.

Yikes! Wonder how this is going to affect our lovely sleep issues... Maybe she'll suddenly start using her crazy mountain goat skills and start climbing INTO her crib! HA! That'll be the day. ;•D


Take it away, Baby...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Petite Chef: Mud Pie

Here it is, as promised, Grace's Mud Pie recipe! She did all the work, I helped explain terms and measurements, stirred at the very end to make sure everything was evenly coated (at her request), and helped hold the pot. She let one of her friends spread the Nutella and add the "dirt" to one of the pies while she did the other.  This is a very kid friendly recipe, I highly recommend it for ages 8 and up! The original recipe is in the book The Cooking Book, by Jane Bull. But we modified it just a bit. Here are our supplies: 3/4 c butter 1 tbsp cocoa powder 1/2 c sugar 1 c graham cracker crumbs 1/2 c dried fruit 1 chocolate bar (we used Nutella spread instead) We added: Heath chocolate and toffee bits Black Sixletts (found in the party aisle) These are the original measurements, we doubled the recipe though. Step 1: Crush graham crackers. We used a gallon size zipper bag and a coffee mug (I don't own

Preschool at Home! Chalkboard Painting

Here is another treasure from the backfiles. This started as an act of desperation on my part, I just needed her to be occupied so I could finish something, but it quickly became one of her favorite activities. If you have a chalkboard (we made ours on a half wall with chalkboard paint), all you need is a paintbrush, sponge, or washcloth, and a cup of water. Dip the brush in the water and have at it! Kit LOVES how the water turns the board black. So often, she will be at this so long that by the time she gets across the board, the first area she painted will be dry and a fresh pallet once again. You can get creative with the things you use as paintbrushes, but she has been completely happy with our basic art brushes from Walmart. I love watching her do this.

Saying Goodbye

For the entire month of August, I just didn't let myself think about it beyond the facts. For the last two weeks, I just focused on anything else that took my mind off of it. Over the weekend I was busy getting things ready, so I was too busy to think about it. Tuesday came. Miss V came. It was a good visit, with laughing and smiling, and questions asked and answered, and Kit played with her, and smiled and made us laugh like usual. But it was different, and we felt it. I didn't let myself go there, because I didn't want to break down, not that it would have been the first time in front of her (nor the second, or third, or even fourth probably.)  And then it was time for her to go, and we took some pictures, and all the kids hugged her, and I held Kit on my shoulder on the steps so she could wave goodbye until Miss V is out of sight like she has every week for at least five months. And then we closed the door, and Kit went on with business as usual, beca