Skip to main content

Fix-it Friday

Warning: This post contains a hideous, horrible, disgusting closet disaster!
 
 
Today on fix-it Fridays we took on That Pesky Closet!
 
It was just Kitty Kat and me today. I had very little expectation of accomplishing any real tasks today. But, today started off on a high note! As I posted this morning, last night was our first attempt at KIT sleeping in her own bed. Albeit in the living room, but hers nevertheless, and not ours! And she did amazingly well!
 
She woke up once at 2:30, and I'm pretty sure that was only because the temperature unexpectedly dropped, and she was wearing just a onsie. Once she was snuggly warm in long sleeves and stretch pants, she nursed, fell back asleep and I put her back in her bed where she snoozed until 7 am!! Then she came to snuggle and nurse with me.
 
That is so HUGE! But we shall see if she keeps it up.
 
After she dozed back off this morning, I got up, made fresh coffee, and went to meet the monster head on. What monster?
 
This one:
 
 
 
(((GASP!!!!!))))
[Cue Psycho Music] 
 
Are your eyes burning?!
 
Mine too!!
 
Now please try to understand that this closet hasn't always looked like this. This is the Grizzabella (from Cats) of our house. It has certainly seen much more beautiful days. But lately, it has been on the losing end of a battle called Mommy Stretched Too Thin.
 
Like I mentioned last week everything just gets thrown in (especially when the kids are "cleaning" their room) and then forgotten about. I think that may be what Grace was trying to model here.

Maybe.
 
I don't really know why she decided to suddenly just strike a pose.
 
That pose? No idea.
 
So, even before my first cup of coffee, I dove in. (Yeah, that's how desperate I was to get this done!) I focused primarily on laundry and trash. Laundry was the primary culprit in the pile up on the floor. Once that was out of the way it already looked a hundred times better.
 
After that I took a coffee break and napped until Kit woke up for the day. Then after breakfast it was on to Grandpa's room. We changed the sheets and towels, cleaned the bathroom, swept and vacuumed!!
 
And by we, I mean - me. Kit helped by opening every drawer, nosey thing. Then by banging out a robust rhythm on the shower door. Then finally, I sat her in the rocking chair and turned on his tv. She watched Judge Joe Brown while I finished the bathroom. Whew!
 
Later, we returned to the closet. I covered the ladder to the bunk bed by hanging Zak's weighted blanket over the rungs. It was too heavy for her to pull down, though she did try to move it aside several times.
 
I handed her toys to put in different containers. She did well for a little while, but got distracted. As I sorted clothes, I gave her the play dishes. She rummaged through them for a bit, then suddenly left. After a minute I called her, she didn't come. A quick glance revealed she wasn't on the beds, nor in the room anymore.
 
As I walked through the bedroom I heard the water running in the bathroom next door.

I found her standing on the closed toilet lid holding her pot under the running water. So that's why she left so quick! She needed to fill her pot, or wash it, I'm not sure which. It was very cute, but still resulted in the bathroom door being securely closed.
 
After several more breaks, we finally got the closet mostly organized. There are still some toys that haven't been put away yet. And I need a few more containers to finish up, but it is a complete turn around! And I still have shelf space left. Lots of it in fact! See for yourself!
 
I will not show you the adjacent laundry room, however.
 
The Laundry Monster threw up in there.
 
Again.
 
 
 
Before:
 
 
After:
 
 
***
 
Before:
 
 
After:
 
 
***
 
Before:
 
 
After:
 
WOW!
(Kit and I definitely earned our delicious Chicken Primavera from our favorite Italian place down the road. She and I took a walk to pick it up. Then she was mad when we were done so she protested by refusing to take off her jacket.)
 
 

So on to the next assignment:
 
 
Umm, I may need more than a week for this one. Especially since I can't seem to finish any of my tasks until 8 o'clock on Friday night!
 
 
Happy weekend everyone!
 

Comments

  1. Wow! Those are some incredible transformations! I'm in awe!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Le Petite Chef: Mud Pie

Here it is, as promised, Grace's Mud Pie recipe! She did all the work, I helped explain terms and measurements, stirred at the very end to make sure everything was evenly coated (at her request), and helped hold the pot. She let one of her friends spread the Nutella and add the "dirt" to one of the pies while she did the other.  This is a very kid friendly recipe, I highly recommend it for ages 8 and up! The original recipe is in the book The Cooking Book, by Jane Bull. But we modified it just a bit. Here are our supplies: 3/4 c butter 1 tbsp cocoa powder 1/2 c sugar 1 c graham cracker crumbs 1/2 c dried fruit 1 chocolate bar (we used Nutella spread instead) We added: Heath chocolate and toffee bits Black Sixletts (found in the party aisle) These are the original measurements, we doubled the recipe though. Step 1: Crush graham crackers. We used a gallon size zipper bag and a coffee mug (I don't own

Saying Goodbye

For the entire month of August, I just didn't let myself think about it beyond the facts. For the last two weeks, I just focused on anything else that took my mind off of it. Over the weekend I was busy getting things ready, so I was too busy to think about it. Tuesday came. Miss V came. It was a good visit, with laughing and smiling, and questions asked and answered, and Kit played with her, and smiled and made us laugh like usual. But it was different, and we felt it. I didn't let myself go there, because I didn't want to break down, not that it would have been the first time in front of her (nor the second, or third, or even fourth probably.)  And then it was time for her to go, and we took some pictures, and all the kids hugged her, and I held Kit on my shoulder on the steps so she could wave goodbye until Miss V is out of sight like she has every week for at least five months. And then we closed the door, and Kit went on with business as usual, beca

Preschool at Home! Chalkboard Painting

Here is another treasure from the backfiles. This started as an act of desperation on my part, I just needed her to be occupied so I could finish something, but it quickly became one of her favorite activities. If you have a chalkboard (we made ours on a half wall with chalkboard paint), all you need is a paintbrush, sponge, or washcloth, and a cup of water. Dip the brush in the water and have at it! Kit LOVES how the water turns the board black. So often, she will be at this so long that by the time she gets across the board, the first area she painted will be dry and a fresh pallet once again. You can get creative with the things you use as paintbrushes, but she has been completely happy with our basic art brushes from Walmart. I love watching her do this.