Skip to main content

Fix-It Fridays

Well, we finally have Grandpa all settled in his room. And aside from the occasional memory lapse when he will go into ours accidently, or the times that he was sure he had taken something in there and went to look for it, the transition to his new room has been fairly smooth.

We're still in the process of moving back into ours. I was sick over the weekend and spent the time between feverish highs napping. The only thing I managed to do in our room was strip the bed.

We are gradually making our way back in though. Kit and I, however, won't likely make our final move off the couch until I track down a toddler bed. There isn't any point in moving over sooner.

Spring Cleaning...ACHOOO!

 
Well, you have heard me ranting periodically about us being gradually suffocated by the hurricane of disarray here over the last three months. So the time has come to roll up our sleeves and bust through this mess! Hang my allergies!  

We all function much calmer and cheerier when our home is tidier. An added benefit is how much more the kids are able to help when everything has a clear and accessible place to be put away in. They become much more self-sufficient and cooperative when it comes to their chores, which means less stress and work for me! An all around win-win.

In order to not get too overwhelmed we are taking things one step at a time. I am letting someone else do the thinking so that I can simply follow the plan and execute some brutal blows to our bulging burdens. The Spring 2013 Project Simplify is a four week action plan to help everyone whose interested reorganize the hot-spot problem areas so that we can be good to go for summer time. Oy, I don't even want to think about summer!

If you would  like to learn more or join (you don't have to do anything but  your own cleaning :)  visit simplemom.net for more tips!


Project Simplify on Simple Mom
 
 
I will be giving myself from Friday to Friday to complete each week's task, and will post my progress (or lack thereof) each Friday for the next four weeks. I will try to remember to take (embarrassing but real) before and (hopefully much improved) after photos to share.
 
 
This weeks project:
 
 
DRAWERS AND SHELVES!
 
 
I have at least four drawers and several shelves that need some serious attention. So, let's get busy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Petite Chef: Mud Pie

Here it is, as promised, Grace's Mud Pie recipe! She did all the work, I helped explain terms and measurements, stirred at the very end to make sure everything was evenly coated (at her request), and helped hold the pot. She let one of her friends spread the Nutella and add the "dirt" to one of the pies while she did the other.  This is a very kid friendly recipe, I highly recommend it for ages 8 and up! The original recipe is in the book The Cooking Book, by Jane Bull. But we modified it just a bit. Here are our supplies: 3/4 c butter 1 tbsp cocoa powder 1/2 c sugar 1 c graham cracker crumbs 1/2 c dried fruit 1 chocolate bar (we used Nutella spread instead) We added: Heath chocolate and toffee bits Black Sixletts (found in the party aisle) These are the original measurements, we doubled the recipe though. Step 1: Crush graham crackers. We used a gallon size zipper bag and a coffee mug (I don't own

Preschool at Home! Chalkboard Painting

Here is another treasure from the backfiles. This started as an act of desperation on my part, I just needed her to be occupied so I could finish something, but it quickly became one of her favorite activities. If you have a chalkboard (we made ours on a half wall with chalkboard paint), all you need is a paintbrush, sponge, or washcloth, and a cup of water. Dip the brush in the water and have at it! Kit LOVES how the water turns the board black. So often, she will be at this so long that by the time she gets across the board, the first area she painted will be dry and a fresh pallet once again. You can get creative with the things you use as paintbrushes, but she has been completely happy with our basic art brushes from Walmart. I love watching her do this.

Saying Goodbye

For the entire month of August, I just didn't let myself think about it beyond the facts. For the last two weeks, I just focused on anything else that took my mind off of it. Over the weekend I was busy getting things ready, so I was too busy to think about it. Tuesday came. Miss V came. It was a good visit, with laughing and smiling, and questions asked and answered, and Kit played with her, and smiled and made us laugh like usual. But it was different, and we felt it. I didn't let myself go there, because I didn't want to break down, not that it would have been the first time in front of her (nor the second, or third, or even fourth probably.)  And then it was time for her to go, and we took some pictures, and all the kids hugged her, and I held Kit on my shoulder on the steps so she could wave goodbye until Miss V is out of sight like she has every week for at least five months. And then we closed the door, and Kit went on with business as usual, beca