Skip to main content

Word of the Week: Music!

Yay! I'm so excited!

September starts off another year of music for me!

This is now my fifth year with the all-volunteer orchestra that I play in. We had our first rehearsal this past week. And this year brings about some great changes! One of the biggest is: no more summers off!

I am very happy about this because summer generally spells b.u.m.m.e.r. for me. The oppressive heat and humidity keep me hibernating indoors in the air conditioning.  And while I could easily take out my instrument and challenge myself, I am inherently lazy about playing alone and always have been, so my poor violin barely gets air all summer long.

But no more! And bonus! We now get to rehearse twice a month year round. That means nice long quiet drives all by myself (or with friends who need rides and are not fighting over the radio being on, expounding on the intricacies of lucid dreams, or making me sing the same song forty times in a row. That is what car rides are like with my kids, no joke).


Another musical change starting this month is: I'm giving lessons again!

After a six year hiatus, I have two new students starting violin lessons this month.

This is an exciting development in several ways, but the biggest being that it is proof positive that things with Kit have progressed to the point that I can actually act on my desires to teach again, not just daydream about them!

Having other students always acted as a great motivator to keep my own kids' lessons a priority, and I'm hoping it does now again. If it doesn't however, I am prepared to have them seek instruction elsewhere for as long as they are interested in learning to make music. Sounds funny, especially coming from a homeschool mom who plays (and teaches) several instruments, but you know what? It is what it is.


So music is my word of the week? What's yours? Click on the badge below to read  about others' as well!

The Reading Residence

Comments

  1. Sounds like a very positive musical week for you! Lots to be excited about. Thanks very much for sharing with #WotW and I hope you do enjoy teaching again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and the nice comments! I love WotW! Such a great way to reflect and connect!

      Delete
  2. Awww where do you live? I want my son to learn violin! Oh well its okay cuz I cant really afford lessons now. But congrats on so many positives this week for you =) #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The commute would be killer, I'm in the U.S.! :D Thanks for stopping by and visiting through the comments though!

      Delete
  3. Yay for our music! The language of our hearts, the open door to possibilities....peaceful drives, skillful fingers, unlocked corners of our brains, joys of unity and harmony amidst different tone, pitch, depth of range. Infinite variety within finite structure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Le Petite Chef: Mud Pie

Here it is, as promised, Grace's Mud Pie recipe! She did all the work, I helped explain terms and measurements, stirred at the very end to make sure everything was evenly coated (at her request), and helped hold the pot. She let one of her friends spread the Nutella and add the "dirt" to one of the pies while she did the other.  This is a very kid friendly recipe, I highly recommend it for ages 8 and up! The original recipe is in the book The Cooking Book, by Jane Bull. But we modified it just a bit. Here are our supplies: 3/4 c butter 1 tbsp cocoa powder 1/2 c sugar 1 c graham cracker crumbs 1/2 c dried fruit 1 chocolate bar (we used Nutella spread instead) We added: Heath chocolate and toffee bits Black Sixletts (found in the party aisle) These are the original measurements, we doubled the recipe though. Step 1: Crush graham crackers. We used a gallon size zipper bag and a coffee mug (I don't own

Saying Goodbye

For the entire month of August, I just didn't let myself think about it beyond the facts. For the last two weeks, I just focused on anything else that took my mind off of it. Over the weekend I was busy getting things ready, so I was too busy to think about it. Tuesday came. Miss V came. It was a good visit, with laughing and smiling, and questions asked and answered, and Kit played with her, and smiled and made us laugh like usual. But it was different, and we felt it. I didn't let myself go there, because I didn't want to break down, not that it would have been the first time in front of her (nor the second, or third, or even fourth probably.)  And then it was time for her to go, and we took some pictures, and all the kids hugged her, and I held Kit on my shoulder on the steps so she could wave goodbye until Miss V is out of sight like she has every week for at least five months. And then we closed the door, and Kit went on with business as usual, beca

Preschool at Home! Chalkboard Painting

Here is another treasure from the backfiles. This started as an act of desperation on my part, I just needed her to be occupied so I could finish something, but it quickly became one of her favorite activities. If you have a chalkboard (we made ours on a half wall with chalkboard paint), all you need is a paintbrush, sponge, or washcloth, and a cup of water. Dip the brush in the water and have at it! Kit LOVES how the water turns the board black. So often, she will be at this so long that by the time she gets across the board, the first area she painted will be dry and a fresh pallet once again. You can get creative with the things you use as paintbrushes, but she has been completely happy with our basic art brushes from Walmart. I love watching her do this.